The Delaware Commemorative Half Dollar was issued to mark the 300th anniversary of the Swedes landing in Delaware. The colonists ship, the Kalmar Nyckel, landed on the spot that is now Wilmington and is pictured on the reverse of the coin. They established a church there that is now the oldest Protestant church still used for worship in the United States. Known as the Old Swedes Church it is pictured on the obverse of the coin. A competition was held to select the design and was won by Carl L. Schmitz. Authorized in 1936 and struck in 1937 the Delaware Commemorative Half Dollar was dated 1938 on the reverse and 1936 on the obverse. Sweden struck a two-krona coin that commemorated the same event.