Known, since the first year of issue (1913) as a Buffalo Nickel, or sometimes as an Indian Head Nickel, the first year of issue had two varieties: the first has the buffalo standing on a mound the second a straight line under the mound. Originally designed by James Earle Fraser, his initial “F” can be found below the date on the obverse. The reverse design shows a buffalo standing on a mound (hence the name Buffalo Nickel) and, as the story goes, was modeled after Black Diamond, a buffalo in the Central Park Zoo in New York City. For the obverse Fraser used at least three different Native Americans for his composite. The Buffalo Nickel was issued from 1913 – 1938, with suspensions in the years 1922, 1932 and 1933, likely because of a lack of need.